Terms and Conditions of Use
The Site is intended for a U.S. audience. If you access the Site from outside the United States, your information may be transferred or processed in the United States.
This Policy only applies to the Site and does not apply to information collected or received by other means, including on other websites operated by Pro Bono Net that do not link directly to this Policy. This Policy does not apply to services or websites offered by third parties, even if this Site links to those services or third parties.
• Information We Collect or Receive
• How We Use the Information We Collect or Receive
• How We Share Information
• Your Choices
• Third Party Site
• Children’s Privacy
• Notice to California Residents
• Updates to this Policy
• Contact Us
Information We Collect or Receive
Information You Provide. We may collect information that you provide to us when you visit our Site, including information you provide when you:
• volunteer to provide legal assistance;
• become a member of our Volunteer Portal;
• contact us to receive legal assistance;
• contact us for more information about our organization;
• sign up for a newsletter; or
• respond to a survey.
Through methods such as these, we may collect information such as your name, home or other address, email address, telephone number (including mobile number), or other information. If you apply to become a member of our Volunteer Portal, we may also collect information about the law school you attended (or attend if you are still as student), as well as password information. If you respond to a survey, you may provide us with other information about yourself.
Automatically Collected Information. We may collect information automatically when you visit our Site, such as:
• your IP address;
• the type of browser and operating system you use;
• the pages you visit and the features you use, including dates and times;
• if you navigated from or navigate to another website, the address of that website; and
• information regarding your internet service provider or the type of device you used to access our Site (such as a mobile device).
You may encounter Tracking Technologies from our third-party service providers, such as Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and other providers that we have allowed on our Site to assist us with various aspects of our operations and services. This information may include information about your use of our Site or services, your use of other websites, your interests and preferences, and other information. For example, we may collect information about your browsing and usage history on our Site. The information collected from these Tracking Technologies may be shared with and used by us, by others acting on our behalf, or by third parties subject to their own privacy policies.
Other parties may use Tracking Technologies to collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use our Site. You are always free to decline Tracking Technologies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of the Site. Refer to the help section of your browser, browser extensions, or installed applications for instructions on blocking, deleting, or disabling Tracking Technologies such as cookies.
How We Use the Information We Collect or Receive
We and others acting on our behalf may use the information that we collect or receive to operate our business, including our Site. This includes:
• for those in need of legal help, connecting you with legal aid professionals and attorneys that can provide you legal help and assistance;
• for legal aid professionals and attorneys, establishing and managing your membership account and providing resources to support your work;
• providing information about our services and other information that you request;
• diagnosing or addressing technical problems in the operation of our Site or services;
• evaluating and improving our services and Site;
• performing data analyses for financial, operational or other purposes;
• complying with applicable law or our policies;
• preventing fraud, theft, and injury to you, us, or others;
• defending our (and our affiliates’) legal rights;
• contacting you; and
• using information for other purposes to which you consent.
We may retain information as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, including to effectuate your requests. We may retain some information so that we can comply with law, prevent fraud, assist with investigations, resolve disputes, analyze or troubleshoot programs, enforce our legal terms, or take other actions permitted by law.
How We Share Information
We may share with others the information that we collect or receive, including:
• affiliated and participating organizations PBN works with to provide legal services, so that these organizations may contact you, including regarding volunteer opportunities, legal aid and related matters;
• individuals (i.e., legal aid professionals and attorneys) to respond to requests for legal help and assistance;
• service providers who we engage to maintain the Site or on our behalf, including providers who help us operate and develop the Site and our services, and conduct surveys;
• analytics companies who provide Tracking Technologies on our Site; and
• law enforcement, governmental agencies, or authorized third parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or another third party to legal liability – in such case, we will only disclose information we deem relevant and/or necessary to the investigation, inquiry or fraud complaint.
We may disclose your information to other entities, should a new entity take over the operation of the Site or services. In that event, we will make reasonable efforts to request that the new entity follow this Policy with respect to your personal information or provide prior notice if there would be any material changes to this Policy.
You may opt-out of receiving email newsletters from us by following the instructions to unsubscribe within the newsletter, if you receive one, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may not opt-out of administrative emails for your registered account (for example, emails about your member account or policy changes).
You may also contact us at email@example.com to review and update the contact information we have for you. If you are a member of the Volunteer Portal, you may also contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org to terminate your account.
We store and process your information on servers located in the United States and elsewhere. We maintain security measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access and disclosure. Despite these measures, we cannot guarantee the security of networks, servers and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf or that the information you transmit to us over the Internet will not be intercepted, deleted or altered. If you have an account with us, it is your responsibility to make sure that your passwords and account registration information is secure and not shared with third parties.
Third Party Sites
The Site may contain links to other third party websites, including social media platforms and the sites of our participating organizations. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these third party sites.
The Site is a general audience site and it is not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information via our Site from users in this age group. If you believe your child has provided personal information to us without your consent, please contact us at email@example.com.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Business & Professions Code Section 22575(b) provides that California residents are entitled to know how we responds to “Do Not Track” browser settings. We do not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals.
We do not share personal information with any third party for that third party’s direct marketing purposes, as described in California Civil Code 1798.83.
Updates to this Policy
We may sometimes update this Policy. When we modify this Policy, we will update this web page and change the Effective Date listed above. We may notify you about material changes in the way we treat personal information by placing a notice of such updates on the Site.
How to Contact Us
You can contact us with questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Policy by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.